Client: The National Trust
Grade II Listed
Owned by The National Trust, the original watermill burnt down in the 1950’s and was reconstructed by the then owner in its present admired form. The interior was previously used for the shelter of cattle at first floor level, accessed by a concrete ramp through the building.
Our proposal for the conversion of the watermill was presented to The National Trust, who then sought a partnership from the developer, Kit Marin, to undertake the work. Ultimately two flats and seven houses were provided within the shell of the existing building.
The principle elevation was left unchanged other than the introduction of one small window and the addition of external cantilevered oak framed balconies for the first floor living rooms. A bridge was also created at the rear of the property to provide lateral access across the river. There was minimal interference to the interior of the building, and efforts were made to preserve the internal features including the simple industrial trusses of the 1950s re-creation. All the lodgings were sold individually, except for a flat that was retained by The National Trust for holiday let.